Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

2011
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Steve Carrell, Julianne Moore
Directed by: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Written by: Dan Fogelman

Despite the TERRIBLE title of this movie, I really enjoyed it.  It will be hard to talk about anything except how GODDAMNED SEXY Ryan Gosling is, but I shall try.  Some good things about this movie:

1. How GODDAMNED SEXY EVERYTHING ABOUT RYAN GOSLING IS.  My friends and I were literally moaning and "Oh my God-ing" through much of this movie.  His body.  His accent.  His clothes.  His face.  His swagger.  Oh God.  Oh God.  To just stand in the same room as him.  Oh God.

2. Steve Carrell has some serious acting chops!  He is so believable in this movie, and it was great to see him in a sometimes-serious role that had better dialogue than Dan In Real Life.  I think Steve Carrell is one of the few actors who can be adorably awkward-funny and really heartfelt-serious in the same movie, and it is totally acceptable (take that, Robin Williams!).

3. Emma Stone is really cute and funny and quirky.  She wasn't in the movie as much as the trailer made it seem, but she is still a very important vehicle for the plot twists and turns.  I don't know why most movies seem to try to make her out to be some sexy, gorgeous woman.  She's not.  She's the kind of girl you have a crush on, for sure.  Not the kind of girl a cocky, sexy dude crosses the bar to try to bed.  And, I MUCH prefer the former.

4. Julianne Moore, who usually bugs the hell out of me, was actually very sympathetic and subdued in this movie.  She didn't seem as "act-y" as usual, so good job, Julianne!

5. The costume design.  The clothes were very important in this movie, and whoever did the costume design had some serious fashion sense.  Especially for sexy menswear.  Oh GOD, RYAN GOSLING IN SUITS.

6. Ryan Gosling's perfect butt.

7. Unexpected events in a movie that seemed character-driven really made this a memorable film.

8. Smart, realistic characters.  Touching moments.

Do I have anything negative to say about this movie?  Sometimes I felt like it dragged a bit, but for the most part, I really recommend this, and was super-pleasantly surprised.

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment