Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Business Of Being Born

2008
Director: Abby Epstein
Starring: Ricki Lake

Thank you, Ricki Lake. You have provided me with hours of daytime TV pre-teen entertainment, introduced me to the world of Hairspray, and have convinced me to have a home birth. Quite a feat, if I do say so myself.

This is one of the most compelling docs I have ever seen. It presents the viewers with the horrors of the medicalization of hospital births, and the benefits of having a home birth with a midwife. Most of the complications in childbirth at hospitals are caused by labor-inducing or pain drugs. Birth should be beautiful and natural and not rushed. I want to have a behbeh in the water in a gross squatty position and pull the baby out of my own vadge, and if you watch this movie, you will, too!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment