Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Milk

2008
Director: Gus Van Sant
Starring: Sean Penn, James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Ryan Evans from High School Musical, Diego Luna, other hawt gays with 70's hair

I was expected Milk to be kind of annoying. Now, I love me some gay rights, but I thought this would be so preachy and Sean-Penn-y and self-important. It kind of was, but goshdarnit, Sean Penn is such a good actor. It was inspiring and I loved the style and screenplay structure. I REALLY felt like I was in SF in the 70s. I visited the Castro District while on Spring Break and went inside Castro Camera (which is now a gift shop called Given). Being in this neighborhood really helped me to understand just how revolutionary and important and brave Harvey Milk was. Regardless of your feelings towards gay rights and gay marriage, please use Harvey Milk as a role model for anything you believe in.

The only thing I didn't like was imagining what happened after the Sean Penn/Emile Hirsch scenes ended. I think it went something like this:

Sean Penn: Wow, Emile, that was really great. We were so IN that scene.

Emile Hirsch: I know, it felt so REAL, man. I am learning so much from you.

Sean Penn: Ah, Emile, you're so talented. You remind me so much of a young me.

Emile Hirsch: Can I blow you?

Sean Penn: It would be my pleasure.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment